“I have been using Outlook 2013 since its release. As I use Microsoft Office for my organizational purpose, the size of the PST file has exceeded the limit. Due to this, my Outlook client stop working and sometimes it slows down which makes it difficult to use the application properly. I know that I have to split oversized PST file but do not know how to reduce the size of an email in Outlook.”
Does the above query seem similar to you? Do you also want to reduce Outlook mailbox size or want to know how to reduce email size in Outlook 2019 / 2016 / 2013? Do oversized PST files give nightmares to you? Do not worry, here in this blog, we are going to illustrate each and every possible solution to reduce the size of outlook mailbox that also compacts the mailbox size of PST data file. So, here we go.
Table of Contents
How to Reduce the Size of an Email in Outlook 2019 / 2016 / 2013 – Multiple Ways
There are numerous techniques by which users can easily reduce Outlook mailbox size. Go through each method and do what suits you best.
1. Delete What You Don’t Need
The simple and foremost method just deletes the Outlook data which you don’t have requirement forever in your lifetime. For this, you can use Mailbox Cleanup Tool.
Mailbox Cleanup tool is the inbuilt utility of Outlook 2019 / 2016 / 2013 / 2010 / 2007 which is provided to acknowledge large emails and old messages which you might want to delete by which Ourtlook mailbox size is reduced instantly. Many times, the reason behind large PST files is Deleted Items Folder. This utility provides the option to search and identify older messages or large sized emails which you should delete as they are of no use. This process will reduce the size of an email in Outlook. To run the Mailbox Cleanup Tool, go with the following steps:
In Outlook 2016, 2013
- Open your Microsoft Outlook 2016 / 2013 client
- Go to the File option and then to the “Info” panel
- Go to the Info box and after that “Cleanup Tool” option
- Click on the “Cleanup Tool” and there you will get another 3 option
Mailbox Cleanup – for complete mailbox cleanup
Empty Deleted Items Folder – only deleted items folder will be cleaned up
Archive – The mails present in the archive folder wil be cleaned up
- Go with any of the options according to your requirement but if you have unwanted large sized emails, then go for Mailbox Cleanup option to reduce mailbox size in Outlook.
- A new dialog box will appear, where you have to set date filters for the PST file which you want to delete.
Note: The dialog box has another wonderful Autoarchive feature. After selecting Autoarchive this option will automatically move old messages to the archive folder.
- Finally, click on Delete and close the window to reduce email size in Outlook 2016
Suggestion: You can also use the Cleanup tool on the Home window of Outlook to reduce Outlook mailbox size. But this option will not give “Autoarchive” feature.
For Outlook 2010, 2007
- Open your Microsoft Outlook 2010 / 2007
- Go to the Menus option from the navigation panel
- Click on the File from item bar to reduce emails size
- A drop-down list will be displayed
- Click on the Mailbox Cleanup option
- A new window will appear, select the Date Range of the desired PST file
- To reduce the size of Outlook mailbox, click on Delete and then Close
Search for Large Messages
You can also search for the large emails by using Outlook’s Search box, Go to the Search box and type: messagesize:>5 mb. This step will get you all the messages larger than 5 MB. Delete these emails manually or create a new PST to save and reduce mailbox size in Outlook.
2. Compress the Outlook 2019 PST Data File
Performing the above method will automatically reduce Outlook mailbox size. But the discussed method does not provide the surity to reduce email size in Outlook. To overcome this issue, you can go by compressing Outlook PST mailbox. For that, go with the below-mentioned steps:
- Launch Microsoft Outlook 2016 / 2013 and go the File option
- Choose Account Settings >> Account Settings
- In the Data Files Window, click on the file you want to Reduce
- Now choose Settings and then Advanced Tab
- Go to the Outlook Data File Settings
- Finally, click on the Compact Now to reduce Outlook emails size and then OK
Limitations of the Above Approaches
The discussed methods have some drawbacks
1. The manual methods are lengthy and time-consuming
2. Chances of data loss will always hang over
So, How to Reduce the Size of an Email in Outlook Easily?
By keeping in mind the constraints on the manual solution many third parties have invented their utilities. One of the best software among them is SysTools Split PST Tool. The tool is especially designed to break any size of the PST file which will automatically reduce Outlook mailbox size.
This PST Splitter is so simple that it does not require any kind of technical expertise. A naive user can handle it effortlessly. The software provides the option to split PST file by Year, Date, Size and folder, User can use these options according to their requirement. Some of the other important features of the software are:
- No limitation on the file size
- Reduces Outlook Archive file
- Splits Corrupted PST file also
- Divides inaccessible PST data
Suggestion: If you particularly want to compress, go for the PST Compressor tool. This software will instantly compact your large Outlook 2010 / 2007 PST and generates Log Report for each compression.
Nowadays, the issue of oversized PST file is increased and people keep on searching how to reduce the size of an email in Outlook over the web. In this blog, we have tried to mention all the possible method that can reduce Outlook mailbox size. You can go for any of the solutions but it is highly recommended to use the automated solution as they are more secure and fast to reduce email size in Outlook.